Dream Baby Sleep® Founder Carolynne Harvey answers frequently asked questions about Newborns. Read below.
How do babies sleep during this period?
- Newborns typically sleep in short cycles of 2-4 hours throughout the day and night.
- Total hours of sleep per night: 15-18 hours
- They also usually sleep more during the day since they have their days and nights mixed up.
- Many newborns will only sleep while being held.
What is the #1 sleep issue or pain point for newborns?
Fostering healthy sleep habits so that you can instill a healthy sleep foundation from the start. This is important because adequate sleep is proven to help a child’s cognitive development, emotional balance, behavior and overall health.
- Your baby is dealing with day/night confusion
- Your baby has short sleep cycles that are only 20-30 minutes
- Preparing your baby for independent sleep when they’re 4 months old is very important
What are some excellent guiding tips for parents of newborns?
Some action items you can take to begin setting a healthy sleep foundation include:
- Use blackout curtains
- Use continuous white noise for all sleep
- To improve day and night confusion expose your baby to natural light during the day and make it as dark as possible at night. For more tips on fixing day/night confusion in your newborn, visit our blog.
Have a question about your newborn or want to learn more about how to put your baby down drowsy but awake? Sign up for your free 15 minute consultation with one of our certified infant sleep experts by visiting dreambabysleep.com/scheduler.